Thursday, October 4, 2012

40 Days in the Word - Day 16: Mark 9:33-35


After they arrived at Capernaum and settled in a house, Jesus asked his disciples, "What were you discussing out on the road?" But they didn't answer, because they had been arguing about which of them was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, "Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else."

My Thoughts: I can remember as a young boy hearing the term “public servant” in reference to a government leader, like the president. You don’t hear that term anymore. All you hear is their title or the word “politician.” Jesus was the author and example of a servant leader. Jesus not only told His disciples to be a servant to everyone, but Jesus lived it. The disciples had been arguing about entitlement. Who should be first in line or sit in the best seat or be over everyone else. Jesus’ response was to introduce the concept of leading by serving. We use the term “servant leader” to describe this concept. Jesus, who is the creator of all (John 1), demonstrates this when He washed the feet of those He created (John 13:1-17). In the areas in which I lead, my family; my church; my job, do I serve those I lead or do I lord over them? Do I power up in order to get my way or do I humbly yield in order to listen to the other side of a debate. In other words, do I see my leadership roles as entitlement or as a responsibility to serve and care for others?

Application: My family, my relationships, and my jobs. These verses impact my heart and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment