Sunday, December 30, 2012

Luke 3:1-20 - How to Show Your Faith


In these verses, we get a glimpse of John’s ministry and message. His life was foretold by Isaiah the prophet (Isaiah 40:3-5). John ministry was to tell people to prepare their hearts to received the good news of God’s forgiveness through the life and sacrifice of Jesus. As John preached on the coming of the Messiah and the coming judgement upon people for their sinful and selfish behavior, people asked what could they do to escape judgement. In addressing this question, John goes right to the root of the problem. The religious leaders believed and taught that the descendants of Abraham were exempt from God’s judgement of sin through the covenant God made with Abraham. John declares this is not the case (verse 8). Even today, people use this as an excuse to continue with their selfish, sinful lifestyle. When confronted with the reality of their need to turn from their sin and be forgiven through belief in Jesus, they say things like, “I’m a Christian” or “I am basically a good person.” The interesting aspect of Abraham is that he is not an Israelite. Abraham is the father of Israel. However, he is also the father of many nations. God’s covenant of blessing and redemption was for Abraham and all of his descendants not just the nation of Israel and their descendants.

There is a tremendous amount of theology packed into these verses. However, the core of John’s message was that in order to prepare your heart to receive the blessing and redemption of the Abrahamic Covenant, you first need to turn away from your sin and selfishness and turn your life over to God (verse 8). Furthermore, you are to prove you have truly done this by the way you live. You are to not only think of yourself, but give to those in need. You are not to take what does not belong to you (verses 11-14). And, you are to be honest in all your dealings. The proof of your faith is in the actions you take to be a blessing to others (James 2:14-17). When I take an inventory of my life each day, how does it stack up with John’s message? Am I enriching the lives of others or am I so caught up with my own life, I am blind to the needs of others and willing to subtract from their lives in order to protect my own?

Stephen Covey in his book, “The Third Alternative,” says that most people think in two alternatives: Either I win and you lose, or you win and I lose. He calls this a “scarcity mentality.” His says there is a third alternative where both win and calls this an “abundance mentality.” This third alternative is exactly what John declares is the proof of true repentance and the lifestyle God’s true descendants are to live. Jesus declared, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” (Acts 20:35)

When I take an inventory of my life each day, how does it stack up with John’s message? Am I enriching the lives of others or am I so caught up with my own life, I am blind to the needs of others and willing to subtract from their lives in order to protect my own? Do I live my life moment to moment with a scarcity or an abundance mentality? Do I hear the words of John the Baptist (verse 7) echo in my head or do I hear the words of Jesus (Matthew 25:21)?

No comments:

Post a Comment