Monday, November 5, 2012

11/5/2012 - Psalm 1

Verse 3
They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season.
Their leaves never wither,
and they prosper in all they do.

My Thoughts: This metaphor is a deep cry within me. It resonates in me. I am drawn to it and desire to emulate it into my life. Driving through the Texas countryside, you come across ribbons of lush vegetation and if you stop to examine them closely, you will see a stream running through the middle of them. Water is necessary for life to flourish. The psalmist in this psalm is saying God’s word is necessary for me to flourish spiritually. Some have taken this verse to mean monetary prosperity. However, I have known very wealthy individuals who do not consider God much less study His word day and night. I have also known very poor individuals who walk humbly before God and who are full of joy and peace not only to themselves but to all those around them. In fact, I have know wealthy people whose wealth is a very heavy burden to maintain and others whose lack of wealth free them to enjoy the little they have. Does this mean a wealthy person cannot flourish spiritually. In Mark’s account, Jesus encounters a wealthy young man who was unwilling to let go of his wealth to follow Jesus and who was sadden by this fact (Mark 10:21-22). The reason for his sadness was his many possessions. Jesus then turns to His disciples and tells them that it is very difficult for a wealthy person to enter into the Kingdom of God (Mark 10:23). Note: Jesus did not say impossible. In fact, He goes on to tell His disciples that with God, all things are possible (Mark 10:27). Therefore, it is not the wealth or lack thereof which keeps us from a rich life spiritually. The key to a rich and fruitful spiritual life is found in verse 2: “But whose delight....” God’s word is a living word, a life sustaining word. When your delight is in reading and thinking about it day and night, you will prosper in your soul and your life will be lush and full of God’s joy, peace, and grace.

Application: My entire life. This verse impacts my heart and soul.

1 comment: