Monday, September 24, 2012

40 Days in the Word - Day 6: Philippians 4:8-13

Verses 11-13:
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

My Thoughts: The phase, “for I have learned how to be content,” rings in the heart of every human being. Real, sustaining contentment is a blessing that is a quest of every heart. Most people use the word happiness in exchange for content. However, being happy is usually a condition or state that is dependent on external influences. For example, you might say, “You make me happy.” But, contentment is dependent on an internal influence. For Paul, this internal influence, which enabled him to be content in every situation, was Christ. Like Paul, I have found the only way for me to attain contentment or more appropriately said, a state of being at peace, is through Christ who lives in me. In yesterday’s reading were Paul’s action steps to being in God’s peace. Today’s reading gives us the result of having our hearts and minds guarded by the peace and presence of Christ: The quest of every human heart...contentment.

Application: Every aspect of my life. These verses impact my heart, mind, and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment