Sunday, September 30, 2012

40 Days in the Word - Day 12: Mark 5:21-43


Verses 27-29
She had heard about Jesus, so she came up behind him through the crowd and touched his robe. For she thought to herself, "If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed." Immediately the bleeding stopped, and she could feel in her body that she had been healed of her terrible condition.

My Thoughts: This is one of my favorite stories about Jesus. I remember hearing it in Sunday School as a child and have been thinking and studying about it ever since. There is so much packed into this story, especially when you look at the other accounts in Matthew 9 and Luke 8. I wrote an extensive set of blogs on this last year. Click here if you would like to read those entries. To me, the most amazing aspect of this story is the fact that all accounts emphasis this afflicted woman’s assurance that if she could just touch the robe of Jesus, she would be healed. What was it about His robe that was so significant to her and why was she so determined to touch the fringe of it? The fringe this woman sought to touch was no ordinary fringe. It is called the Zitzit and hung about 35-40 inches below the shoulders of Jesus on the bottom edge of His shawl. Why did she crawl through a crushing crowd to touch this fringe? Because she knew Jesus to be the promised Messiah. How? Because she knew, as did every Israelite, the messianic passage from Malachi 4:2, "And the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in His wings." Guess what the Hebrew word for wings is in this passage? You guessed it, Zitzit! She declared to Jairus and now the whole world that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God! Her faith, which Jesus had declared to the crowd saved her, was in the person of Jesus and she was willing to risk her life in order to get close enough to touch him and be healed. How important is getting close to Jesus to me? Am I willing to lay everything aside: my pride, my family, my friends, my possessions, my life in order to touch Him and feel His healing power throughout my whole being?

Application: Every area of my life. These verses impact my heart, soul, mind, and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment