Tuesday, October 2, 2012

40 Days in the Word - Day 14: Mark 6:45-51

Verses 47-49
Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o'clock in the morning* Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended to go past them, but when they saw him walking on the water, they cried out in terror, thinking he was a ghost.

My Thoughts: Whenever I read this passage, the phrase, "He intended to go past them," always catches my attention. Why was Jesus going to go past them instead of to them? I chuckle to think that maybe Jesus was just messing with them. To see what their reaction would be. At first, they believed they were seeing an apparition not recognizing it was Jesus. His response to them is very interesting. He uses the same word God spoke to Moses, at the burning bush, to identify Himself to the disciples: “ I AM.” (Exodus 3:4)

Jesus said to the disciples in the midst of their trouble, Don’t be afraid, God is here (vs. 50). He climbs into the boat with them and immediately, the Sea of Galilee calms completely down. The disciples had so soon forgotten the miracle of the loaves and fish. By this time, it seems, they would of known Jesus is God, the creator of all things, the everlasting One, the great I AM.

Each day is full of challenges and sometimes overwhelming events. Where is Jesus in the midst of my day? Do I recognize Him as LORD of lords and KING of kings? Is He God to me or some frightening apparition passing me by? A distant memory or an ever present help? Jesus, I need You in my boat with me today and everyday. I need You to calm the waves of doubt and fear that beat against my heart. I need You, the great I AM.

Application: My everyday life. These verses impact my heart and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment