Friday, October 5, 2012

40 Days in the Word - Day 17: Mark 10:17-31

10/5/2012 - Mark 10:17-31



Verse 27
Jesus looked at them intently and said, "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God."

My Thoughts:  In Jesus’ response to this rich man as to gaining eternal life, Jesus gives a partial list of commandments. Jesus leaves out some commandments and in particular:

  1. Do not worship any other gods besides Me
  2. Do not make idols of any kind

Jesus exposes two commands which the rich man could not keep when Jesus says to this man,  “Go and sell all you have and give it away to the poor and then follow me.” This rich man’s security and faith was in his riches and not in God. This man was unwilling to let go of all he possessed in order to follow God with all his heart, soul, and strength (Deuteronomy 6:5). His possessions had taken the place of God and had become his idol. Is there anything in my life that I am unwilling to trust into God’s hands in order to follow Him completely? Can I give up wanting what the Jones have? Am I holding onto bitterness towards a parent? Is there something or someone in my life that takes the place of God? As I look at the list, it is obvious that there are areas which still seem impossible to let go of. The disciples reaction to Jesus' response to the rejection of this rich man (verses 23-24) was, “Then who in the world can be saved?” Jesus’ answer to them is the key to obtaining eternal life. Salvation is an act of God and not man. There is no one who is perfect except God and Jesus declares himself God to the rich man before He answers him (verse 17). Jesus was sinless and took the penalty of our sin to the cross so that we could obtain eternal life through His sacrifice (Romans 3:23-26; Romans 6:23).

Application: Every area of my life. These verses impact my heart, soul, mind, and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment