Wednesday, October 24, 2012

40 Days in the Word - Day 36: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

My Thoughts: In this verse, Paul makes a connection between spiritual health and physical health. In fact, he goes so far as to say our bodies do not belong to us to do with as we care. Unfortunately, many of faith do not make this connection. Physical discipline and spiritual discipline are connected and one will affect the other positively or negatively. Many physical ailments are directly associated with your spiritual health. Therefore, it is also true that spiritual atrophy is linked to how we take care of our bodies. Paul also says that he trained his body like an athlete in order to not disqualify himself to preach God’s word (1 Corinthians 9:27). I know it to be true in my own life. When I honor God with my body, I feel much stronger spiritually. I also find that I have more control over my body and desires, when I am strong spiritually. Physical purity cannot be separated from spiritual purity and vice versa. Paul makes a strong statement to support the importance of physical discipline. He says our bodies are not just a receptacle of our spirit, but also the Spirit of God. My connection with my Creator is affected by how good I take care of His creation, me.

Application: Spiritual Health. These verse impact my soul and body.

Note: I skipped day 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment